How often do you want to make heartfelt dua, yet struggle to covey your words to Allah? Or, even when making a general dua, do you feel like you are lost for words? Well, we’ve put together a step-by-step guide on how you can make your duas more effective. We’ve highlighted both the etiquettes and actions of dua which will help bring more substance and purpose when you’re asking or generally speaking to Allah (swt).
1. Start off with salawat on the prophet saw (Allahummasalli…)
2. Use Allah’s beautiful names to call Him. E.g., Al-Rahman, Al-Raheem, Al-Khaliq
3. Praise Allah as He deserves
4. Face the qiblah
5. Raise your hands into the position of making dua
6. Have faith that your dua will be accepted and Allah will respond one way or another
7. Ask frequently – don’t lose hope. Remember, Allah’s kingdom is vast, so do not restrict yourself when asking Him for something.
8. Be firm in your asking - i.e. don’t say “Allah forgive me if you wish”, rather, beg Allah for exactly what you want.
1. Ask Allah for exactly what you want. Talk to Allah like you’re having a conversation with Him. Describe to Him what’s on your mind. Tell Him how you feel. Be very precise in your dua.
2. When making dua for all the Muslims around the world, don’t just end it at “Allah help all the Muslims.” Rather, be specific, describe to Allah what's going on. Ask Him specifically for those in Rohingya, in Syria, in Gaza etc. For that, you'll need to be aware of what’s happening to our brothers and sisters around the world. Do your research, stay aware and make dua for them all.
3. Sometimes when we make dua, we run out of things to say and so we say ‘ameen’ and end our dua quickly. However, don’t give up, when you face that silence in your dua, stay how you are, you'll eventually think of many more things to make dua for.
4. Lastly, finish your dua off with salutations to the prophet (saw).
We hope this guide is of benefit to you, allowing you to structure your dua more efficiently. We pray that Allah (swt) accepts your duas and grants you what’s best for you. Please utilise this guide on the blessed days of hijjah, allowing you to gain maximum benefit onthese blessed days.