Fasting in Ramadan, for long hours or short, should not restrict us from being productive. Being practical in reflection of the teachings of Islam towards both ourselves and others is an opportunity to gain a lot of reward.
Whilst our stomachs may be empty, it’s important that we nourish our souls with kind, thoughtful and beneficial actions. That’s why we’ve compiled thirty tips to help you daily this Ramadan:
1. Make a list of all the people who have wronged you and make the intention to forgive them in this Blessed Month.
2. Try not saying anything negative for 24 hours. You’ll create a positive atmosphere for yourself and everyone around you.
3. Do one good deed a day, anonymously.
4. Visit the elderly and spend some time with them. It’s a great way to connect with others – and they’ll really appreciate the company.
5. If you see something harmful on the pavement, remove it. Clear the path for others and help the environment this Ramadan.
6. Surprise a family or friend with a gift. It will increase love between you.
7. Buy a money box for your children and encourage them to give to charity.
8. Send your family and friends personalised messages. Express gratitude for something positive they have done.
9. Make iftar for a family in need.
10. Give salaam to a Muslim you do not know (same gender etiquette).
11. Help a sibling with something that they are struggling with.
12. Learn about a Prophet (AS) story you are not familiar with.
13. Memorise a dua from the Qur’an.
14. Call on Allah by one of His 99 names and attributes that you have not used before.
15. Stop what you are doing and make some dua for all the people in your life that have left this world.
16. Make a dua list for Laylat Al Qadr.
17. Seek Laylat Al Qadr in the last 10 nights.
18. Practice the art of speaking good or remaining silent.
19. If you have wronged someone seek their forgiveness.
20. Feed the birds by leaving some food and fresh water outside for them.
21. If you are involved in something that may seek the displeasure of Allah. Make it an intention to quit and make dua for it too. It will transform your life, insha'Allah.
22. Disconnect from all your devices for a fixed time, daily. It will clear your mind of unnecessary distractions.
23. If you are struggling with a family member, talk to them. Try your best to focus on the positive.
24. Get involved with helping out around the house. It’s a Prophetic quality.
25. Spouses: make dua for one another and ask Allah to strengthen your bond and remove enmity from your hearts.
26. Sponsor an Orphan this Ramadan. It could be your gateway to being with the Prophet (saw) in Paradise.
27. If you are struggling financially, it’s more reason to give!
28. Make dua continuously to maximise your Ramadan experience.
29. Recite the Ayat Al Kursi daily. It aids in your protection from harm.
30. Make some food for your neighbours. Allah loves those who do good.
31. Make a conscious effort to incorporate exercise into your day.
32. Participate in a fundraiser
May Allah remove the limitations that inhibit us from excelling in our worship to Him, may He make this month better for us than what has past and nourish us with His Light and Mercy always, ameen.